Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Blog Post #9- Buzz Feed



31 Things Only People From A Small Town Will Understand
            There have been stereotypes about small towns and the people in them for a very long time.  I was unsure whether or not I wanted to read through a Buzz Feed about this topic and learn of more false assumptions and see people bashing this way of life.  To my surprise, however, I found myself nodding along and smiling at most of the points.  As an insider from the “small town” community, I believe that the writer of this particular Buzz Feed did a good job depicting it.
            The images that are used to depict some of these points are not what I would have chosen if I were to make the meme.  When reading these, I have images that pop into my mind from home that differ from the more suburban small town references that are made.  On the other hand, pictures like the group of intoxicated young men surrounding an alpaca to describe “But when you find some unexpected adventure, it feels like you’ve just won the damn lottery.”  This made me laugh because there were many times while I was in high school that groups of guys would go out to farms and do random stuff much like what was depicted in the photo.
            If there were two points that I could add to this meme, they would be “Everyone else knows more about you than you know about yourself.” And “The community is always there for you the second your family is in need or pain.”  The first point was and is still a big joke in our small town, because it seemed like daily you always learned something new about yourself.  I would use a picture of someone looking very surprised with the caption, “I did what?”  The photo for the second would be a serious picture of a community helping a family or showing up at a funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment